Web poster and Transcriber, Newsmax.com, February 2016 to present
– Edits copy and produces posts for the website, coordinates with video team for television shows, transcribes interviews for reporters to writeup. Started as a freelance contractor, then brought on full-time.
Freelance writer, November 2012 to present
– Writing and editing for a number of publications, including Fusion’s Project Earth section, South Florida Gay News, Fort Lauderdale magazine, Venice magazine, Indulge magazine, Gulfstream Media, and more.
Assistant Editor, The Huffington Post Miami – February to November 2012
– Write and aggregate news stories for Miami-Dade and Broward readership
Reporter, Forum Publishing Group – October 2009 February 2012
Managing editor, Martonick Publications – June 2007 to June 2008
– Orchestrating efforts of design, photo and editorial departments of multiple publications while providing guidance to company interns
– Promoted from assistant editor in June 2007
Freelancer, the alligator – August to December 2007
– Contributing stories to the largest student-run newspaper in the country
Spotlight editor, INsite magazine – August 2006 to June 2008
– Assigning stories to new writers while contributing copy to magazine
– Building magazine layout using Quark Xpress and Adobe InDesign for Mac
– Promoted from staff writer in August 2006
Freelancer, communigator – May 2006 to December 2007
– Contributing stories to College of Journalism and Communications alumni publication
University of Florida in Gainesville, FL – June 2004 to May 2008
– Bachelor of Science in magazine journalism with a minor in anthropology
Shanghai American School in Shanghai, China August 2000 to May 2004
AWARDS AND AFFILIATIONS
Second place in Minority Reporting
– Florida Press Club’s annual Excellence in Journalism Competition in class B-D
Dori Maynard Diversity Leadership Program recipient, September 2016
– Attended the Society of Professional Journalists’ Excellence in Journalism conference in New Orleans, La., with the scholarship.
Second Place in Minority Reporting, July 2016
– Society of Professional Florida Chapter’s annual Sunshine State Awards, judged by a sister chapter; submitted pieces on LGBT issues, such as a feature on conversion therapy and a gay couple’s journey through adoption.
Vice President, Society of Professional Journalists Florida, August 2015 to present
– Represent the chapter and its goals, as well as handling the chapter’s social media, participating in committees, and attending journalism conferences.
First Place in Religion Reporting, November 2014
– Florida Press Club’s annual Excellence in Journalism Competition in class C-D
Third Place in Profile Reporting, August 2014
First Place in Minority Reporting, August 2014
– Society of Professional Journalists Florida Chapter’s annual Sunshine State Awards, judged by SPH Ohio chapter; submitted six pieces from South Florida Gay News to showcase reporting of the LGBT community
Secretary, Society of Professional Journalists Florida, August 2013 to 2015
– Keep meeting minutes and help organize events and projects to further journalism in the state.
P.R.I.D.E. Award, October 2010
– Quarterly award to Forum Publishing Group staff members who excel; recognized for breaking story about Sunrise, Fla. falling off of Google Maps with national news groups linking to the story.
Honorable Mention for News Story by the Community Papers of Florida, May 2010
– Yearly award distinguishing excellence in editorial, design and photography
– Recognized for story chronicling first case of Chinese drywall in Sunrise, Fla.
Honorable Mention for Consumer Magazine Feature by the Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communications, August 2009
– Yearly award distinguishing excellence in student-produced magazines
– Recognized for story documenting gang tattoos, profiling an active gang member in a Florida state correctional facility and a former gang member in Miami